About Us

About Us
We met the summer of 2002, married in February of 2003 and the rest is history! We have 3 wonderful boys and lots of nieces and nephews that we love!

About the Mr.

About the Mr.
Shon was born and raised in Plasant Grove. He's a lifer! He loves football and hunting. Shon works for Alpine School District and the Provo Police Department.

About the Mrs.

About the Mrs.
Cristina was born and raised in Arizona. She loves crocheting and some sewing. Cristina currently works for Intermountain Healthcare as a Quality Assurance Rep.

Tina's Tunes

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pinterest Cooking: Green Chile Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

I was really excited when I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I had been wanting a good WHITE chicken enchilada recipe that was fairly easy.  Then when I boiled my chicken this week for this recipe, I was even more bummed when I was getting more and more sick as the week went and I wasn't sure I was going to be up to cooking much at home.  Shon had been taking care of most of the meals this week.  But Saturday I knew I had this chicken that needed to be used. So Ashton and I teamed up and made these.  I think we were drooling as we were making them. Don't worry, we didn't drool in the food. :-) And I knew my antibiotics had kicked in so I could finally prepare food again! Because let's face it ladies...mom's don't have much of a vacation when their sick. 

chicken enchiladas with green chili sour cream sauce
Ingredients
  • 10 soft taco shell-I used more...but I lost count how many (mom brain, remember?)
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken-I used about 4ish
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese-definitely used more than that. But I did put two cups IN with the chicken.
  • 3 Tbsp. butter-used 6
  • 3 Tbsp. flour-used 6
  • 2 cups chicken broth-used one can
  • 1 cup sour cream-used 2 cups
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies-used 2 cans and could have used one more. It wasn't spicy and we love green chilies!
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
  2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
  3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. You are making a rue.
  4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
  5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
  6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

***Now-since I am feeding 3 monstrous growing BOYS + a husband, I doubled this recipe. I did still have leftovers, which I love so Shon and I can just take it for lunch. So we LOVE our leftovers! 

Oh and I MAY have used a little more cheese than called for as well...(just put the guilty shirt on  me already! But it made it even yummier!)

So I have some of this left over chicken in the fridge...

So I shredded this chicken and picked it apart to get about 4 cups (give or take) of nicely shredded chicken. Oh and I nuked this a little in the microwave since it was cold before adding the cheese.


Here is some of the other ingredients I used. Yes, I used all of those soft taco shells...


The butter/flour rue that the recipe calls for.  I had a picture of what it looked like when I started...and...well...I must have been too excited cause it is blurry.


After the rue is all mixed I mixed in the sour cream/green chilies mixture.  And really--don't let it bubble like I did a little...I was too busy bossing around my slave child below.


No he really isn't my slave child. It's my son, Ashton.  But I showed him how to add some of the chicken/cheese mixture and roll the tortillas and place seam side down so they don't come undone.  He did well!  THIS kid can cook!


Here is the mixture once it was all mixed together. Now that alone just looked delicious to me. I think I was hungry.


One dish down as Ashton (yeah he needs a haircut) is working on the next dish---I told you I had to feed an Army!


So then we put the enchiladas in the oven for 22 minutes. 3 of those 22 minutes I did turn the broiler on.  I don't have much experience with a broiler...and the last time I used a broiler, I burned the top. So I didn't really "broil" like I was supposed to. I don't think it would necessarily make or break the recipe anyways.


So I had tried my hand at some pico de gallo a few times and I finally got the correct portions per ingredient.  Are you ready? It was REALLY hard! No just kidding.

I took about 3 Roma tomatoes. I would really use Roma. They hold up better (and I assume they are in season because all the stores seem to have them on sale right now).  I used one small-medium brown onion (you could use white as well, brown are just cheaper). I used one entire jalapeno seeded and ribbed. If you want more heat, leave the ribs. If you want ever more heat leave the seeds. But I wouldn't recommend that.  Then I took a bunch of cilantro (I love cilantro).  The key to the cilantro is to have about the same amount of cilantro chopped as you do tomatoes and onions. Chop it all and combine. I would also recommend chopping it all by hand and not using a food processor. The nice thing about pico de gallo is it's chunky. So nix the food processor on this one. 

Once that is all chopped and combined, add some sprinkles of salt. I use kosher salt (and keep adding to taste--this is your pass to try the pico first). It works best when cooking and I guess I like that is has more flavor? (Ok that could be a mental thing) Just go with it.  Then you take the juice of about half a lime (give or take) And voila! Told ya it was hard! (Not).

Oh and remember my tomato fetish? I hate tomatoes. Yeah I will eat them in pico de gallo. Yet another mental thing I am sure...let's just keep that our secret.  Anyways. Here is the done deal and it was freaking amazing! I had one at first without the pico and the Mr. said I had to put pico on it and eat another one. Let me tell ya, I am glad I did! It just brings all the yumminess together and made our bellies happy.



So the final run down and family vote. The recipe did not call for pico. I added that.  Remember the more color on  your plate the better it it. 

This was also a good recipe to have the kids help.   

And this for 5/5 stars! And I am sure more if they could vote more than just 1 star. :-) This one is definately a keeper!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments: