About Us

About Us
We met the summer of 2002, married in February of 2003 and the rest is history! We have 3 wonderful boys and lots of nieces and nephews that we love!

About the Mr.

About the Mr.
Shon was born and raised in Plasant Grove. He's a lifer! He loves football and hunting. Shon works for Alpine School District and the Provo Police Department.

About the Mrs.

About the Mrs.
Cristina was born and raised in Arizona. She loves crocheting and some sewing. Cristina currently works for Intermountain Healthcare as a Quality Assurance Rep.

Tina's Tunes

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pinterest Cooking: Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo Shells

Mom is down for the count and called in to work today, but never fail, dinner was on the table! My kids and husband have really enjoyed trying a new recipe once a week.  We really don't like to eat out. We are trying to be healthier, it's expensive and eating out everyday is just gross to me.  I love cooking for my family. And they enjoy it when their momma (or wife) cook for them.

This week Shon was really excited about this one. When I showed it to him, he said we HAVE to make it. By "we" he means "me". Hah hah.

I have the exact recipe posted here.

But for easy sake, here are the ingredients and what I kinda changed. I usually like to follow a new recipe to the "t" but when cost is a factor and I know it won't change the taste much, I go for it.


Yield: 4-6 Servings (It was more like 7-8 healthy helpings for us!)
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups (about 8oz) whole wheat medium shells (I used 3 1/2 cups since my were "small" shells (hey, they were only a $1!) and I didn't use wheat)
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small florets (just the head, no stem)(I agree with the no stems part. The stems are very tasteful in a recipe like this. And DON'T use frozen broccoli as they usually have more stems than the actually tree part)
  • 2 cups cooked, diced or shredded chicken
  • 1 (16oz) jar Alfredo Sauce (Whatever you like--I used Ragu--not my fave but it's cheaper)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (medium cheddar or mozzarella) (I used Italian and Colby Jack-and I for sure used more than 1 1/2 cups-I eyeballed it)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Instructions

  1. Cook shells according to directions on package. Mine took about 10-11 minutes. Drain. Return shells to the pan, add alfredo sauce, salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Stir & set aside.


(I heard stems are good in a home made vegetable broth?)


Just enough water to cover the broccoli. Don't drown it with water. (No that is NOT black nail polish, it's this color by OPI.

  1. Place broccoli florets & a little water in a container with a lid. Leave lid loose & microwave on high for 2-3 minutes depending on how crunchy you like your broccoli; just keep in mind that it will continue to cook in the oven. (I have three pictures to show about how much water I put in to cook it, how I cut them and what I cut off. You could also use the steam bags that I forgot I had AFTER I microwaved the broccoli.)
  2. Cook & dice or shred chicken. I actually used leftover roast chicken & heated it up in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to have it hot like my other ingredients. (I think this should have been number 1 if you are cooking fresh chicken. Also I cooked chicken for a couple of recipes this week so it looks like I have A LOT of chicken-I promise I didn't use all of it on this recipe)

I added some salt and pepper. You could also add some chopped onion or minced garlic for more garlic flavor. I thought the Alfredo sauce and Garlic Powder was enough in the sauce.


  1. Add the broccoli & chicken to the shells. Stir well. Empty contents into a greased 13x9" baking dish & top with shredded cheese.
  2. Bake at 350*F for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly & heated in the center.


I went more towards the 30 minutes and that was a little too long. So we fixed that by adding MORE cheese! Shon loved it! David had 3 helpings and Jordan had 2 helpings (Jordan NEVER asks for another helping--I mean, never! Ok...unless it's cereal in the morning!)

I had a couple of bites. I wasn't too hungry. So of the 4 here, we gave it a 4/4 stars!

Cooks additional thoughts: This recipe (as I knew it would be) was super easy!

Disclaimers: 1. I was not paid by Walmart to show their items
             2. I am high on Nyquil--be proud this post looks this good.
             3. I'm tired...and goodnight!

No comments: