About Us

About Us
We met the summer of 2002, married in February of 2003 and the rest is history! We have 3 wonderful boys and lots of nieces and nephews that we love!

About the Mr.

About the Mr.
Shon was born and raised in Plasant Grove. He's a lifer! He loves football and hunting. Shon works for Alpine School District and the Provo Police Department.

About the Mrs.

About the Mrs.
Cristina was born and raised in Arizona. She loves crocheting and some sewing. Cristina currently works for Intermountain Healthcare as a Quality Assurance Rep.

Tina's Tunes

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Dinner: Smothered Chicken, Steamed Asparagus with Tangy Sauce and Roasted Ranch Red Potatoes

Wow that is a full heading! But this meal was FULLfilling! And it may have topped them all! (Don't I always say or think that?)

This meal was a little Six Sisters Stuff and some Pinterest.

Bare with me...this recipe could get intense, but I promise...well worth the cooking and wait! I brought left overs to work and I think the sentence that first came out is "When are you going to culinary school"? So...I have thought of the idea...we will see how that goes.

Let's start with the produce. Well...let's start with Sprouts (a local all natural/farmer's market like store here in Utah County).  Can I just say I LOVE this store?! I went there last Saturday, spent $30 and left with 5 FULL bags of fresh produce (greens, fruits, vegetables...everything)!  I think that is a pretty good deal. This week they have asparagus .88/lb. I LOVE asparagus. Roasted, steamed...you name it! Six sisters recipe book has this tangy sauce to go over asparagus.  Here you have it:


There are two ways to break the stems off of asparagus. Both seem to work just fine. The first way is to break off the end by bending a stem and allowing the asparagus to "snap" where it does naturally. The top piece is what you want to eat. The whiter end is trash. (I have heard people use these for home made stocks though.) 
Then you just continue to do this to the rest of the stems. 

The other way is to follow the previous way. Once you break one apart you just line up the tops of the asparagus and just chop off the ends of the remaining stems. 

Then place them in about an inch of water in a saucepan.  Bring this to a boil and allow to boil until tender. About 10 minutes.



The Tangy Sauce:
1 part Dijon Mustard (I used French's Dijon and it said it had Chardonay in it--it was the only cheaper Dijon I could find)
1 part olive oil
1 part syrup (yes your good ol fashion pancake syrup--odd I know, but trust me!)

Take about 2 tables spoons each of the three and whisk them together. Take your finger and do a little taste. Delicious right?! It was SO good on the steamed asparagus. And some even ended up on the chicken it was just as good!


Step 1


Step 2


Finished 

Now you need to chop your potatoes. The recipe is here from Six Sisters.


Make sure you scrub your red potatoes really well. They have dips and holes that hold on to a lot of dirt...and we don't want to eat dirt!

Get your EVOO and Ranch packet ready.


 Put your EVOO, Ranch packet and chopped potatoes in a large freezer bag. Now give it to a small child and let them move the potatoes around while you work on the rest of the meal.





Then lay them out on a large cookie sheet. Don't place foil on your cookie sheet like I did...that was a mistake.


Put them in the oven to bake as the recipe shows.


Have I said lately, that I love asparagus?? Place them in the pan with just enough water to barely coat them.

Now let's talk chicken....mm mm chicken!


Get a large pack of chicken. This fed my family of 5 plus we had leftovers for two days worth of lunches.


Peel the skin and trim your chicken, then I cut the chicken breasts in half. Place them in a sprayed cake dish.


This A1 rub is delicious! Shon picked it up at the store and I always use it on my baked chicken. Haven't tried BBQ yet, but I am sure that is delicious too!


And as Emeril always states, you don't eat one side of the chicken so season BOTH sides of your chicken.


I was going for a recipe like this.


Chop your mushrooms. If you hate mushrooms, leave them out. But we love mushrooms...towards the end you add your thawed, slightly warm spinach and shredded cheese.  And the end result...


The family feedback: 5/5 stars! The potatoes were delicious and the chicken was perfectly done. I ate the asparagus first so it didn't get cold and there was some extra sauce from that. So I rubbed my chicken in that, cause wasting that sauce it like breaking the law! :-) Anyways, the sauce was good on chicken! It is such a simple sauce! 

Hope you enjoy making this meal as much as we did.  And...as always...Happy Cooking.

Cristina







No comments: